This Meat Lover's Pizza Bites recipe is the ultimate game day appetizer! Pepperoni, sausage, bacon and melted cheese, enveloped in a warm biscuit and dipped in tomato sauce. These homemade snacks will be a welcome addition to any tailgate party!
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please see the disclaimer here.
Note: This post is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by the National Football League (NFL) or any of its teams. All opinions and views expressed on our blogs are our own, not that of the NFL and/or any of its 32 teams. Any team names, logos or other symbols referenced are properties of their respective organizations. We are just big fans — and we want to share our love for our teams, the game and the food that brings us all together on game day.
Are you ready for some football?!? That's right, my friends, football season is upon us. Having grown up in a family that is very sports-oriented (literally, my dad coached everything!) I know all too well the excitement that football season brings.
Around these parts you'll find a ton of Bills fans. This has been a source of debate in our home since last year. J looked at me one day and said "Honey, I've decided I'm going to be a Bills fan." I immediately started giving him a hard time because he's always been someone who follows the players more than a specific team. But since then, his undying love for the Bills continues.
In celebration, I’ve joined a group of bloggers from all over the country - all football fans - to bring you 64 tailgating recipe ideas so that you're ready to go for game day! When the opportunity presented itself to represent the Bills, I figured it would be an excellent opportunity to mend fences with my Bills-loving husband (and in all fairness, games at The Ralph are pretty fun!).
So the theme for this first post is tailgating recipes. Tailgating is pretty much my favorite part of game day. Because what's not to love about eating delicious, fattening food while partying and getting ready to watch the game? Initially I was thinking of sharing a breakfast option since tailgating on the east coast starts in the morning. But I could not get these Meat Lover's Pizza Bites out of my head. So naturally, I had to share them.
Imagine a Meat Lover's Pizza in the form of little bundles of delicious dough that you dip into the sauce and can eat in two bites. They're filled with savory sausage, bacon, pepperoni and melty mozzarella. Dip them into zesty tomato sauce and you've got yourself a delicious tailgate treat! I like to assemble these the night before and then bake them off before serving or before leaving for the stadium. When I made these, they didn't last very long because everyone went crazy over them! These will seriously make you a big hit at any tailgate party!
Meat Lover’s Pizza Bites
- -3 slices of bacon diced
- -2 Italian sausage links casings removed (this end up being around ⅓ lb of sausage)
- -⅓ + ¼ cups of mini pepperoni or you can quarter regular size pepperoni slices
- -2 packages of refrigerated biscuits regular size, not grands
- -Flour for your surface
- -5 pieces of string cheese quartered
- -¾ of a stick of butter melted
- -1 tsp. of dried parsley
- -½ tsp. of garlic powder
- -1 tablespoon of Romano cheese
- Heat a pan over medium high heat, add your bacon and saute it for 2 minutes.
- Add your sausage to the pan and begin browning it and breaking it up with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes.
- Add the pepperoni to the pan and keep stirring it periodically until the bacon is crispy and the sausage is nicely browned, about another 5 minutes.
- Drain the meat into a paper towel lined bowl and let it cool for a couple minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle some flour onto your surface along with you rolling pin.
- Roll each biscuit or that it's flat (to a similar thickness to a pie crust).
- Place a spoonful of the meat mixture into the middle of each biscuit along with a piece of the cheese- don't over fill them!
- Gather the outsides of the biscuit dough all the way around the biscuit and bring those edges up to the middle and press them into the middle to seal. This will create a nice little bun-like package.
- Place the pizza bites sealed-side down onto a parchment-lined pan.
- In a separate bowl mix the butter, parsley, garlic powder and Romano cheese and brush it onto the top of each pizza bite.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
You can find a full index of my recipes here.
Don't forget to follow The Life Jolie on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!